Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Well look! It's Jesus!

Today’s bible boost comes from the story of two men just walking along the way found in Luke 24 verses 13 thru 35. The man that join these two walking along the way seemed so ordinary, just like every one else so human. But it was Jesus.

They met him on the road to Emmaus. One of them was named Cleopas. We really don’t know anything about this man Cleopas. He is not mentioned again in the Holy Bible. His companion is not named at all. So it really seems a bit strange that Jesus appeared to these two. It seems to me that if Jesus was going to appear to anyone AFTER His resurrection is would be to important people. You know, people in authority, those who could really announce the resurrection of Jesus Christ. But Jesus didn’t. He appeared to these two unlikely men and they didn’t realize that it was Jesus.

How could they know? He seemed so much like every body else. His voice sounded like any voice you would hear in the public square. His face did not appear unusual in any way. His dress didn’t give him away. He looked like anyone else who would be walking along some dusty road. But, nevertheless it was Jesus.

I am reminded of the scripture in Matthew 25 verse 13 and following where Jesus said, “I was hungry and you gave me no meat; I was thirsty and you gave me no drink; I was a stranger and you took me not in; I was naked and you clothed me not, sick and in prison and you did not visited me.”

WHO would not want to help Jesus? Well friends the answer is quite obvious. Jus like the two ones walking along the road to Emmaus…WE PROBABLY DON’T RECOGNIZE HIM. Perhaps He looks to human or to ordinary. Perhaps he comes in a guise of a crippled boy shut up in the back room of a ordinary looking house. Or perhaps he comes as an elderly person closed up in an old folks home with no family, no friends and no one to talk to. Maybe Jesus chooses to come along side us as a troubled teen or a troubled marriage. It may be the tattooed, missing teeth inmate in the correction facility. Those two men, they would have treated him differently if only they had known that it was Jesus.

I am reminded of a quotation from “The Nun’s Story” by Kathryn Hulme…she wrote…”all for Jesus, Sister William said in the ward pulling on the rubber gloves. Say my dear students, every time you are called upon for what seems like an impossible task. All for Jesus. Then you can do anything with serenity. Say it for the bed pans, for the old folks you bath, say it briskly as you bend to change a dressing full of corruption. All for Jesus…”

That my friends it what it takes for us to recognize Jesus. These two on the road to Emmaus, I believe it is significant that they didn’t recognize Jesus until they sat down to eat with Him. Throughout the long afternoon they had profound discussions of currents events and theology. Beginning at Moses and all thru the prophets Jesus the Master teacher expounded to these two men and yet they didn’t recognize the Messiah, Jesus right in front of them. But, it was not until the intimacy of the evening meal that their eyes were opened.

Friends, perhaps this is the key to recognizing Jesus in our own day and age. Statistics on a page or casual traveling companions seldom touch our hearts or probe our souls. The constant bombardment on the television callous us to the needs of those around us. It is only when we become involved with people on a much deeper, intimate way that our eyes are opened to see Jesus.
So let us remember our Bible boost for today from Luke 24 verse 30 and 31. “when Jesus broke the bread and gave it to Cleopas and his companion the bible says their “eyes were opened”.

It is only when we look around and open our eyes do we see Jesus all around.

I am praying for you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Strawberry Cake and my Mom

Strawberry Cake and my Mom! My Mom wasn’t perfect my any means, like most moms. She was the worry wart champion of the world in my opinion...