Wednesday, July 1, 2009

This ONE THING I DO!

In reading the book, “Simple Church” by Thom Rainer and Eric Geiger one of the thoughts that they expressed caught my attention. I want to preface my comments with this question to you. If you could summarize your goals, your dreams, your vision, your purpose for your life, how would you phrase it? Now, can you reduce that to just “one thing”. What is your ONE purpose, goal, vision for your life?

Paul says in Philippians 3:13-14, “but one thing I do; forgetting what is behind and reaching forward to what is ahead, I pursue as my goal the prize promised by God’s heavenly call in Christ Jesus”. This ONE THING was his focus.

David in Psalm 27:4, “I have asked one thing from the Lord; it is what I desire: to dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.” ONE THING was his focus. An intimate relationship with God consumed him.

The writer of Hebrews gives out the call to “fix our eyes of Jesus, our author and finisher of life”. (Heb. 2:2) ONE THING. The challenge is to remove anything that gets in the way of spiritual transformation.

As a minister of the gospel of Jesus Christ my primary ONE THING for me personally is to only “know Christ Jesus and Him crucified”. It is my personal desire to grow as close to Jesus Christ as I can. It is my desire to know Him and to make Him known; my ONE THING.

But as a leader at Valley View Christian Church, Edgewood, New Mexico, I am endeavoring to partner with God to find out where people are in their spiritual journey and help them in their NEXT steps to know Him, know His Word and be obedient to that Word. This is my ONE THING for this community and this body of believers. Many come to Valley View Christian and they are just fishing. They are looking for a place to belong, be accepted and be involved. Many are not even babes in Christ. They are still in the embryonic stage. That’s WHY I am interested in anything (as long as it is Biblical and ethical) that attracts individuals to investigate this Jesus that I know, love and serve. Jesus used fish, figs, and spectacular events to touch people with His life. That’s why I am open to drums, guitars, radio programs, choirs, Fall Festivals, Car Shows, Craft Bazaars, etc. I may not particularly care for such, but it opens up many opportunities to share my love for my Lord and help each one know Him, His Word and be obedient to His will. There’s only 2 ways to do so. Either we go to them (Jesus hung out with the prostitutes, beggars, sick folks, wedding feasts and outcasts) or we provide opportunities for them to come and be exposed to His people, His life and His teaching. If they are not here we cannot disciple or teach.

This ONE THING, to partner with God to make disciples, commit them to obedience and help them run the race focused on Jesus Christ without ankle weights. There you have it. It’s my focus, my goal, my vision for me and Valley View Christian Church.
What’s your ONE THING?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Strawberry Cake and my Mom

Strawberry Cake and my Mom! My Mom wasn’t perfect my any means, like most moms. She was the worry wart champion of the world in my opinion...